Sunday, June 15, 2014

Thing 21 of 23 Things

Free for All:

This time, it seems, I get to choose the app. And a few things came to mind.

First is to mention some apps that I am planning to add, once I make sure that I have the space.

Wikipedia, which was last on the list of Thing 18 - Education. I really do start each workday by reviewing the Entry of the Day. Would like to have it one click away, and I'd like to see if there are any other features.

I received an email that SPCO has a website where you can access all their recordings (and check the SPCO schedule, buy tickets, and probably make a donation, too). I'll check into that.

I also heard about a really cool app for stargazing. Your device knows when you hold it above your head, and it will display the stars you'll see behind the device, in labeled form. And if you hold it facing the ground, it will show you the stars visible from the other side of the earth. I don't know the name of this app, and maybe I should wait for an iPad for full effect. But cool, yes ( and maybe not free....).

But if I look more closely at your question, I was asked to:
write a blog post telling us about an app you love and why you love it. Make a good case for its awesomeness and we may just include a link to your blog post here.

I feel like I'm cherry picking here, but when I look at all my apps, and exclude those that were delivered with my iPod (the alarm, timer, music player, audio recorder - basically the ones that aren't deletable), there are a handful, let's say two, that are amazing.

And the first, the most amazing is Google Maps. First, let me remind you that I have an iPod. No phone attached.

I can open up Google Maps, when at home, on wifi, and I can type in an address that I want to go to (yes, like everyone). Before I leave the house/wifi, I click on the arrow to start the navigation. Then I get in the car and drive towards my destination.

My open Google Map map will show my progress as a little blue dot - without wifi!! I can navigate all the way to my destination, always able to see where I am on the map (but it won't create more map if I drive elsewhere). I have heard that Google Map does this using cell phone tower signals. The first time I saw this, I had to pull over to the side of the road. A cell phone app for free!

Google is so ubiquitous that this hardly seems surprising anymore. But Google Maps is an amazing app.

My other amazing app, like my old paper and pen (or quill and ink, if you prefer) is my blogging app, BlogPress. It's fun, amazing, and I have lots of fun with it when I travel.

Do I use these at work? Well, no, but I think that's OK.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment