Saturday, June 14, 2014

Thing 18 of 23 Things

Education:

I think that this also happened to me towards the end of my 23 Things on a Stick experience - the selection of Things got both broader, and more fun, making the decisions more difficult (or my list of 'remember this one' is getting longer and longer).

The first one that piqued my interest was the 'Advanced English Dictionary and Thesarus'. Blurb reads:
. . . the WordNet dictionary is organized with an innovative and convenient approach. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations.
I am so fascinated by what that means!

Bill Nye the Science Guy, and DuoLingo would be fun to poke around with (downloading an interesting app is much greater commitment than clicking on a website, I see).

The 'Eat This, Not That' sounds like a fun game to play at home with my know-it-all family.

The NSF app is one that could be helpful in my work, and the same with the National Archives- Today's Document. Actually, I really should look at the websites for these last two: maybe an email could be set up for a daily push to my work email (suddenly, you can see my ulterior motive: useful and/or interesting information, no matter what the format or delivery method - format/blind).

Then I got to the end of the list of apps for this Thing: Quizlet, a tool that will really help me during the school year, as I am the go-to parent for helping my fifteen-year-old son with studying.

I have been cobbling together power point presentations with photos of minerals, and I was thinking that there had to be a better way. And i see that there really is!

Actually, David has one more final exam this year: A French final exam on Monday.

We've been studying 20 minutes each day, but tomorrow we'll use a slideset on which verbs go with etre or avoir, and those verbs which direct and/or indirect indefinite pronouns. Perfect subject for flash cards (or we can use the cool matching game)!


Addendum - the absolutely last item on the list for this Thing is Wikipedia. I have the Wikipedia link in my reader, but it always takes so long to load. Since I always start out every workday by reading the Featured Articles in Wikipedia, this is most definitely an app I can use at work!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment