Friday, June 13, 2014

Thing 12 of 23 Things

Books, Books, & More Books

Oh, what a tie-in to the previous thing, on library apps! While playing around with my SPPL app for Thing 11, I noticed three separate e-book providers, one of which I signed up for over a year ago (the 3M eBook- I am glad it's still one of the options). I also noticed that one can download audio books. Back when I had a long commute, I borrowed audiobooks from the library regularly (probably on cassette tapes - ah, times change).

Wattpad, iStoryBooks, and Audiobooks - these sound the most interesting to me. First, a few thoughts:

My fifteen-year-old son is an avid reader. But too old for playing with the iStoryBooks - it would be great if I had a youngster in my life - and an iPad would also help. So I will pass, but definitely keep iStory in mind as a recommendation for friends.

And Audiobooks, as mentioned before, can be really enjoyable (special joy in camping by myself, kids asleep in the tent, while I sit in front of the campfire listening to an audiobook/book on tape ). But if I am limited to listening to an audiobook only when streaming (connected to wifi), it is not nearly so appealing. Maybe if I ever upgrade to an iPad or smartphone with a data plan. Next?

Wattboooks. Sounds interesting. Maybe new literature? Short fiction? Could be pretty engaging!

I took the time to review some summaries. I am usually drawn to non-fiction, but after reviewing a number of titles, this section heavily focused on how to write, publish, edit, etc.

I started a short story, after reviewing quite a few. The one I chose turned out to be pretty odd, but it was kind of fun. If I was on a long trip, or was otherwise a captive audience, I'd go back. There could be some gems here. This is something to keep in mind, socially, not so much professionally.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment