Saturday, June 14, 2014

Thing 17 of 23 Things

Connecting to Community:

Oh, decisions, decisions. If I had lots of time, I'd try the Superior Hiking Trail app. I love that trail, and maybe exploring the app would help me fill my dreams until I can go there again.

The app for Minneapolis open spaces would be nice too, and of course I already have the MPR app (but only useful for me when I'm on wifi).

The app that I actually need is Minnesota 511, the MnDOT app, so that I can check the best route before heading to work or home from work - especially on those occasional bad weather/driving days. I already have a link to the MnDOT website on my work computer, so I check that occasionally. I will certainly be able to use this app at home for planning routes, or to help with timing and planning.

I continued to scroll down the list: Minnesota Museums, Explore Minnesota, all good choices. Then I saw it: Minnesota Beer Activists! And it's only for Android!

I don't remember this problem with any other Thing until now - something that was so unique, interesting, and only available on Android. I'll have to make sure my friend Mike, with an Android phone (and a highly developed taste for local beer) has this app. And I'll take a look at the organization's website.

But back to the app that will improve my life? Minnesota511. I loaded it, and it's perfect!



Here's a screen shot that shows my daily commute, from lower left to upper right. I can look at both the traffic and/or the specific incident reports. Very intuitive. My one complaint about this app? It has the ugliest icon of any on my mobile device :



(photo courtesy of skills learned inThing two: tricks and tips)

I can't use this app at work (no wifi for me at work, remember?), but I can recommend it to others. And, I can use it to get to work on time, which will benefit my workplace.

I am about to wrap up this Thing, but I was wondering, are there apps for Mn cycling? Mn bike trails? I know where to look for that, and may get to look for a Thing like that soon. . . .

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment