Monday, March 24, 2014

Thing three of 23 mobile things: Utilities

QR reader is the utility that I chose to investigate. This is a tool that I have wanted to explore since I first started noticing QR codes ( long before I had a smart device).

I have read about gallery exhibitions where a QR code links you to a piece of art, a multimedia file, or other information. As I saw the QR codes proliferate, I realized that the commercial applications were expanding. My zeal diminished a bit, as I wasn't thrilled to log into the local car dealer's website. But, once again, 23 things has provided me a fine opportunity to explore.

Since shopping is not one of my banner activities, I took a (virtual) stroll through the eighty-something scanner apps in the App Store. I realized that I'd have the best luck looking more closely at apps with numerous positive reviews.

I selected NeoReader, because it had decent reviews, read many types of codes, and seemed relatively neutral.



Now, to find some codes to scan . . . . With my eyes peeled, I didn't see a single code anywhere- not on a poster, not even in my standby: Parade magazine. Maybe I have already missed this wave??

Finally, while waiting for a haircut, I perused the haircare products and saw some QR codes on the shelves. I captured a couple of codes, and proceeded to my haircutter's station. There on her wall was her state cosmetology license, with a QR code in the corner! I captured the code, and returned home the successful hunter.

As there was no wifi at the hair salon, I had to wait until I was home to investigate my finds. The product links went directly to YouTube testimonials. And the license document went to the state cosmetology website. The destination for the links was not surprising, but the process for accessing them was amazingly fast and seamless.

I don't know how much space this QR code app takes up, but I hope I can afford the space when I will be attending a work conference at the end of April. QR codes will provide me a quick way to gather links and literature of interest!

Addendum: Airport restroom in Denver International airport provided a QR code to let authorities know that the restroom needs attention. I did not follow that one.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I was interested that the first codes you found happened to be at the hair salon - and in an airport restroom! Looking forward to future posts. :)

    ReplyDelete